The following page lists open positions in the Presbyterian Church (USA) that are welcoming to LGBTQ people. The listings include positions suitable for both ordained and non-ordained candidates. We hope this page will encourage churches and organizations in the PCUSA to specifically recruit LGBTQ candidates and will also serve as a resource for people seeking welcoming places to work. If you would like to submit a position to MLP for consideration, please send it to email@example.com. Church Leadership Connection, the call system for the Presbyterian Church (USA), is available at http://www.pcusa.org/clc. Click “Opportunity Search” at the left to search without creating a profile.
MLP Job Listings
Communications Director (part-time), More Light Presbyterians
This job is title is “Communications Director” — because that’s the closest approximation we could find — but really this position is about so much more. An ideal candidate (could it be you?) is somebody who’s willing to be bold about what’s possible for MLP’s communications in the future. We want creativity, collaboration and — above all else — somebody who wants to dive in and make this job their own. The movement for LGBTQ inclusion in the church and world is in an exciting place right now. We are in the process of achieving marriage equality in the PC(USA) as we are working on expanding our welcoming congregations. More Light Presbyterians is leading this movement, shaping the conversation and setting the course for the coming years. Everything this position does is vital to this effort.
One thing to note is that MLP doesn’t expect the ideal candidate to have all of the qualifications listed here. (But if you’re a unicorn and you, in fact, do have all of these then by all means please apply immediately if not sooner.) We’re more interested in somebody who has some of these qualifications but is willing to learn the others they’re lacking. We want somebody who’s going to work hard, be a team player and show real passion for our mission. MLP is dedicated to leadership development and if you have some but not all of these qualifications, apply anyway! We can make sure you get the training you need along the way.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to create and implement integrated communications strategy that reinforces key messages consistently across communications channels.
- Develop opportunities for media exposure for MLP, via press releases, advertising and coverage of events
- Co-Convene with MLP Board point person the Editorial Board blogger team.
- Create, schedule, and monitor social media content including Facebook and Twitter.
- Create bi-weekly e-newsletters including identifying and soliciting content, writing, and formatting text and photos.
- Oversee website content creation and monitor for accuracy, up-to-date news, active links, and consistency across organizational pages.
- Coordinate the production, printing, and distribution of MLP mass mailings including the More Light Update, quarterly appeal letters, and other documents as requested.
- Manage registrations for MLP’s bi-annual National Conference, General Assembly events, and smaller events. Create registration forms and documents as needed to assist Board members in managing conferences and events.
Reports to: MLP Executive Director
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to frame issues for specific audiences (Presbyterian and secular)
- Broad knowledge of relevant software, network management and social networking processes, including MS Office, Google docs and google apps, wordpress, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.
- Strong organizational skills required to manage multiple fast-paced projects simultaneously
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) or Final Cut Pro or iMovie a plus
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and 2-3 writing samples. If you have managed a twitter handle or facebook page please provide a screen shot of your most successful work. Please email all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Director” in the subject line. The application period is open until August 3.
Riviera Presbyterian Church Seeks Solo Pastor, Miami, FL
Riviera Presbyterian Church is a spiritual community engaged in joyful worship, transforming education, and active service reflecting the path of Christ. All we do flows out of our identity as children of God in Christ. We are drawn together in worship and praise. We interpret the Bible in a relevant, contemporary way remaining progressive in spirit and anchored in Christ’s teachings. We understand that inclusivity and active service to others are appropriate responses to Christ’s teachings. We use our people, building and money wisely to make a significant impact in our community. We enjoy our life together and celebrate with friendship, fun and food. We honor our heritage, applying its lessons creatively in present circumstances as we move toward an open future.
Please see our church website, www.rivierachurch.org and our MIF- 20017.ABO
Pastor (Head of Staff) – Western Presbyterian Church, Washington, DC
Western Presbyterian Church is a community of believers and seekers growing together in God’s Spirit. Empowered by our faith in God’s ability to transform lives, we are an active force and passionate voice for a just and compassionate society. We are a More Light Church that seeks to be an inclusive congregation that welcomes all of God’s children. We are committed to being passionate advocates for justice in our city, this nation, and throughout the world. We are looking for a pastor who has a deep and abiding faith in a loving God and who is open to a progressive understanding of Jesus, the Bible, and what God asks us to do as Christians. He or she must be compassionate, genuine, and committed to social justice. Learn more by visiting our website www.westernpresbyterian.org, and view our Ministry Information Form. Interested applicants may apply by submitting their PIF via the Church Leadership Connection or emailing us at WesternPNC@gmail.com.
Opening for Head Of Staff at Southminster Presbyterian Church, Beaverton OR
Southminster Presbyterian Church is a welcoming More Light church, dedicated to social activism. The invitation to share in our journey comes with open hearts and minds. We seek a progressive pastor who celebrates our questions, embraces our passions, inspires our spirits and challenges us to think deeper, harder and more radically about how we can better express God’s unconditional love for the world. You, perhaps? Please view our Mission Information Form for additional details about our community and the position. If you are currently ordained in the Presbyterian Church, you will need to submit your Personal Information Form (PIF) to the Church Leadership Connection System, and self-refer to the Southminster Presbyterian Church position opening. If you are ordained elsewhere, you will need to fill out and email your PIF to us directly at email@example.com.
Part-time Director of Children and Youth, Presbyterian Church of the Apostles, Burnsville, MN
The Presbyterian Church of the Apostles, a progressive congregation in Burnsville, MN, seeks a unique person to develop and lead ministry for children and youth. If you are interested in nurturing children’s faith, have an understanding of youth culture, and have a desire to lead a Christian Education program, we invite you to apply for this part-time position. For more information see our website at www.churchapostles.org under the education tab. Resumes accepted through August 2. View Job Description
Additional Job Listings
Congregations Seeking Pastors, Covenant Network of Presbyterians