Gender Identity and Expression
From transACTION (Leader (pdf) | Participant (pdf)): “Most transgender Christians are searching for the same things that other believers want: a connection to their God within a loving community where worship and working for equality and justice are the focus of the Christian experience.
Unfortunately, these searching transgender people are too often left without a place to call their “church home” because most congregations and religious institutions are not ready to welcome them as their Christian companions.
transACTION is designed to help churches and institutions address this issue of understanding and welcome by providing step-by-step training about the needs, apprehensions and fears of transgender people – as well as the wealth of gifts and graces they bring – while responding to the concerns of the church or religious institution.”
Pastoral Care in Transgender Experience (pdf)
By Reverend Erin K. Swenson, Th.M., Ph.D.
Rev. Erin Swenson broke new ground within mainstream Christian Protestant faith groups on October 22, 1996, when the Presbytery of Greater Atlanta, by a vote of 186 to 161, sustained her ordination as a Presbyterian minister. Erin had transitioned from male to female in 1995/96 after 23 years of ordained service, and with the Presbytery’s vote in 1996 she became the first mainstream minister to make a gender transition while remaining in ordained office.
All Resources (Alphabetical)
- Center for Gender Sanity assists with all aspects of transition in the workplace.
- Gender Identity and Our Faith Communities is a congregational guide for transgender advocacy from the Human Rights Campaign
- I AM: Trans People Speak is a project of the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition
- Improving the Lives of Transgender Older Adults
- Injustice at Every Turn: A Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey by the National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- International Transgender Day of Remembrance
- Made in God’s Image: A Resource for Dialogue about Gender Diversity by Ann Thompson Cook answers basic questions about gender variance as well as transgender and intersex people and their experiences.
- More Light on Transgender (pdf)
- National Center for Transgender Equality is dedicated to advancing the equality of transgender people through advocacy, collaboration and empowerment
- Pastoral Care in Transgender Experience (pdf) is a resource from the Reverend Erin K. Swenson, Th.M., Ph.D.
- Top 10 Ways to Welcome Transgender People to Church (pdf)
- TransParent provides compassionate support and resources to parents and caregivers raising a gender independent child.
- The International Foundation for Gender Education promotes acceptance for transgender people
- Trans Faith Online
- transACTION (leaders guide) (pdf) is a transgender curriculum for churches and religious institutions from the Institute of Welcoming Resources
- transACTION (participant guide) (pdf) is a transgender curriculum for churches and religious institutions from the Institute of Welcoming Resources
- Transrespect Verses Transphobia Worldwide Research Project is a comparative, ongoing qualitative-quantitative research project conducted by Transgender Europe.