The mission of More Light Presbyterians:
Following the risen Christ, and seeking to make the Church a true community of hospitality, the mission of More Light Presbyterians is to work for the full participation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) people in the life, ministry and witness of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and in society.
MLP’s logo reflects our mission and incorporates the communion elements of bread and wine, as well as rainbow colors evocative of stained glass church windows. These elements express the hospitality of Christ, and of the welcoming church movement, and the theology and practice of the open table. We are called together as many grains that form one bread. We share one cup.
Who Are We?
We are individual members and congregations of the Presbyterian Church (USA) who are faithful to God’s call and believe that God continues to open new understandings of scripture and the Word in the life of Christ. As a Christian community, we believe that the church must seek to live out those understandings in our life together. Our work is supported by an elected board of lay and ordained persons and full-time staff.
What Does MLP Do?
- Provide a ministry of care for inclusive congregations and build new MLP Chapters around the country.
- Educate individuals, churches, and presbyteries on LGBTQ issues through published materials and programs;
- Train leaders in congregations and presbyteries to advocate for the full participation of LGBTQ Christians in the life and ministry of the Presbyterian Church;
- Support legislation that promotes justice for all in Church and society, focusing on LGBTQ concerns;
- Engage with other ecumenical, interfaith and secular partners to support the LGBTQ community in matters of justice;
- Bear witness to the God-given gifts of all LGBTQ people and honor the covenants of all couples.
How Can I Help?
We encourage you to join with MLP as individuals/couples and to consider starting a More Light process in your church. Your support will ensure that we can bring the good word of God’s inclusive love to individuals, churches and presbyteries around the country.
By joining with MLP today you will help:
- Create a welcoming and affirming Church for all, particularly LGBTQ persons, their families, friends, and allies;
- Ensure the full participation of LGBTQ people of faith in the life, ministry, and witness of our church;
- Strengthen networking and support among congregations who are members of More Light Presbyterians;
- Increase solidarity among MLP Chapters in cities, regions, and states;
- Represent LGBTQ issues at General Assembly through outreach, worship and witness opportunities;
- Sponsor the annual national MLP Conference that brings together LGBTQ Presbyterians and their heterosexual allies for worship, nurture, and study
By joining with MLP, you’ll have the opportunity to receive More Light Update, a news magazine containing educational and liturgical resources, features, editorials, event announcements, updates on legislation and judicial cases, inspirational articles and more.
Why Should I Join?
As individuals we struggle with our own personal hang-ups and fears about sexual orientation and gender identity in general. Since the 1978 General Assembly, our church has urged us to study these issues, to take the initiative to know and listen to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, to respect their civil rights, and to see them as brothers and sisters in Christ. MLP provides resources, models and experiences to help that personal growth.