Building an Inclusive Church Training
Perhaps you are a leader (ruling or teaching elder) in a congregation which is considering becoming welcoming to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) persons. Perhaps you are committed deeply to helping other congregations in the Presbyterian Church (USA) become more welcoming of LGBTQ folks. Either scenario means that this training will be very helpful to you in honing your skills and gaining more knowledge about how to help congregations through those tough conversations toward a more fully inclusive church.
What to expect from this training?
The training has been designed specifically with congregations and their leaders in mind. We will explore topics which will help you to become a more effective leader in working with congregations on issues related to human sexuality and gender identity for the purpose of helping a congregation discern God’s call to become more welcoming and inclusive, particularly of LGBTQ persons. Topics include:
- Faith-based community organizing techniques
- Congregational conflict theory and resolution
- Managing change in congregations well
- Effective strategies for helping congregations discern the call to be welcoming
- Building relationships for change
- Dealing with difficult conversations around biblical material, stereotypes, the “b” and the “t” questions, and other areas of concern
- Opportunity to build relationships with others who share your concerns
- Personal spiritual enrichment
- Opportunity for growth and challenge
- Intense few days of hard work, laughter, and fun
Who should come?
Anyone who is interested in seeing the Church (meaning all churches) become more welcoming, supportive and inclusive of LGBTQ persons. This could include:
- Ruling Elders
- Teaching Elders
- Denominational or presbytery leaders
- Practical Theology professors at PC(USA) seminaries
- Members who care about these issues
- Leaders and members in denominational LGBTQ groups
Upcoming training opportunities
For detailed schedules, registration and travel information, visit the Institute for Welcoming Resources.
- October 4-5, 2013, San Antonio, TX
- November 1-2, 2013, Minneapolis, MN
- November 8-9, 2013, Dunedin, FL (Tampa area)
The training materials for Building an Inclusive Church are available in our resources area.